Klein Matterhorn, Switzerland. Day 2/9, 25 Aug to 2 Sep 2022

26 Aug 2022, Weather forecast for Klein Matterhorn - 
0 to 3 degrees celsius with heavy rain at around 11am.
A trip to Klein Matterhorn via cable car from Zermatt.

We set off around 8.30am, temperature at 13 degrees celsius.
A bright sunny morning. Since weather forecast predited that there will be rain around 11am, we hope to make it to Klein Matterhorn before it rains.
To get to Klein Matterhorn, first, we need to get to Matterhorn cable car station at Zermatt.
Not checking any map, we just start off by walking along the town towards Matterhorn direction. Only when we reached Matterhorn Museum(Bottom left picture), we decided to check Google map on how to proceed. We ended up going uphill to some old villages(Bottom right picture).
 From here, was able to view the river below (Top right picture) with hikers going towards the cable car station direction like us. What a beautiful day!!!

Link to google map for cable car station at Zermatt to Matterhorn.
We took almost 30mins to reach Zermatt cable car station.

There are 2 routes that we can take to walk towards the cable car station. Whatever it is, we will pass by a wooden bridge towards Winkelmattenweg street(Top left pictue). Walked further up, we reached another bridge(Top right picture), crossed over where the ticketing counter is located. We were lucky that the crowd was not that large then. My actual plan was to visit 2 mountains at one go, The Klein Matterhorn and the Gornergrat. We were told that the peak to peak package has been discontinued. So we just opted for Klein Matterhorn.
A check at Klein Matterhorn - Cloudy (See bottom right picture).
Ticket cost CHF60 per person (Including Matterhorn Glacier Paradize) after showing ticketing staff our Swiss Pass tickets for a 50% discount.

We were asked to take good care of our ticket as we will need to use this card to scan for our entry and exit while getting off and on cable cars, and visiting attractions.
There are 2 stops in between the whole cable car ride. Furi and Trokener Steg. We can get off/on at any station for sightseeing or a hike. To reach Klein Matterhorn, we need to transfer to another cable car at Trockener Steg station.

The view inside the cable car between the Zermatt and Furi station.
Top picture - view below from cable car -  Zermatt valley with cable cars lining up.
Bottom picture - view above from cable car - mountain view covered with snow and clouds.
We were excited.

As the cable car ascended higher, pine trees views turned into grasslands. We started to see mountains, valleys. View was breath taking. 

Above - Cable cars that serves between Zermatt to Trockener Steg Station.
Below - Cable car meant for Klein Matterhorn from Trockener Steg Station.
At Trockener Steg Station, we transfered to the bigger cable cars meant for Klein Matterhorn. We also put on our winter jacket at this station.

The ice glacier valley. 
The surronding around us was so beautiful when the cable car ascended further up. All covered with snow. Our first time looking at ice glacier. So amazing.
Reaching Klein Matterhorn.
Slowly, we were approaching Klein Matterhorn Station. My head started to feel tight. My ears felt "blocked". Oh nooo. At 3,883 metres above sea level, I started to feel sick - altitude sickness. We were not prepared for altitude sickness and did not take any altitude sickness pill. (It was only after this trip that a friend shared with me, she took the altitude sickness pill before ascending this mountian).

Finally we reached the cable car station, get off the cable car, follow the signage, walk towards the viewing deck.




Klein Matterhorn.
The first view when I exited the cable car station, at the small viewing deck before the stairs to the footpath below. This was the one and only clear picture that I owned for my trip to Klein Matterhorn. When I ascend the stairs, I noticed I felt dizzy. I felt a loss of balance and unsteadiness.....
    
In less than a few minutes, clouds started to gather. Our camera stand for family pictures was not even fully set up and it started to rain. It was sleeting so hard that we could barely see. I have forgotten about my altitude sickness condition that I followed my family, ran back to the station to seek shelter at the restaurant. I guessed my oxygen ran out and I grapsed for air. Cannot breathe and cannot walk up straight. I have no choice but to return to Zermatt Valley. Lucky I have my hubby to accompany me, I walked with much difficulty. 

Matterhorn Glacier Paradise.
Lucky my children were grown up. So they continued the tour and provided me with some pictures inside here.

There is also a slide where one can slide down (no picture). By the way, they told me the air was thin inside here too. So lucky I did not continue with the tour. 
The 25 minutes cable car ride back to Zermatt Valley felt so long. At one stage when the cable car stopped and swinged, I vomitted. So glad I brought alot of plastic bags with me for groceries shopping. Suprisingly, once I reached Zermatt Station, I am well again except for my acidic stomach after vomitted.
Luch was porridge with boiled egg and Swiss sausages. Lucky hotel has a cooking area for me to cook some easy food for myself. Don't think I can find any porridge from any restaurant in Zermatt. 

Lessons learnt from this trip.
When visiting mountain, check out its height and take altitude medication if required.


Itinearary at at glance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

190728 Aeon Tebrau Malaysia

10 Aug 17 Carrefour Ximending, Ah Zhong Mian Xian, ATT4fun

Walking Trail - MacRitchie Reservoir