Arriving Zermatt, Switzerland. Day 1/9 - 25 Aug to 2 Sep 2022

 25 Aug 2022, Thursday, 27 degrees celsius when we reached at around 5pm. The sun was still hot. The temperature drops when we went out for a walk after checkin, about 7pm.

Zermatt.
A view from our balcony upon check in. 
We will be staying 2 nights at Hotel Arca & Solebad.

Visp station.
With the SBB App and Swiss Travel Pass, it was so easy for us to travel from one place to another via train. We just need to click the App, we will be able to find which train to take, at what time and which platform. See my train guide.
It took slightly more than 2 hours to reach Zermatt from Bern. We need to make a transfer from Visp Station, catch a special train meant for Zermatt.
From Bern to Visp Station took 1 hour and another 1 hour from Visp to Zermatt.
The crowd from Bern station is big (we do not have a seat until Lake Thun). Many of them will stop at Lake Thun and Spiez while we head towards Visp station. 

Let me share this. Though Switzerland is considered a safe country, we also need to take good care of our belongings. Pickpoket can happen anytime when crowding takes place just like any other cities over the world.
I was almost a victim of pickpoket if I did not react on time.

This happened at Bern Station, I have boarded the train towards Visp Station. There was a crowd going up the train car and everyone was waiting for passengers to place their lugguage thus creating this bottleneck before we go towards our seats.

I was carrying my backpack behind me. I felt someone was very closed to me, more like my children behind me waiting for the crowd to move on. However, there is this unusual push that makes me looked behind. I saw a girl (youngster) in white jacket behind me, quickly left and walk towards another car, closing its door. I brought my backpack infornt of me and realised my backpack was half opened. Lucky nothing was lost after checking through my belongings.
Luky me. My backpack was not very organised. I have sweater, camera placed on top of my other belongings. To be honest, I also need to search long to get my passport and $$$. So perhaps she has problem searching for my stuffs and thus created this push.

A train ride towards Zermatt.
Greyish coloured water flowing down the river with a strong current.
There are plenty of youtube video on train ride towards Zermatt, showing this river as part of its beautiful scenery. Mmmmm how do I put it. If you wanna say grey water is beautiful? 
No comments!!! LOL.
When the train climbs higher, we see beautiful landscape, since we are in the moutains. Then wait, the youtubers did not mentioned about the weather. We travelled between 3 to 5pm during summer. We were sweating inside the train.

Finally, the train reached Randa Station. With only 2 more stations to go, I was so glad that we made it this far. For some reason, we were required to wait for one train to arrive/pass by before our train can continue our journey. So we waited at the train station under the hot sun for quite some time before we can continue. Aircon inside the train was weak, it was so hot inside the train. I must admit it was not a very pleasant ride for us.

Zermatt train station.
We finally arrived !!! The journey seemed so long.
Hotel Arca & Solebad.
We have booked a family room here, 2 bedrooms with 1 small kitchen for 2 nights, breakfast included.
Our cheapest accomodation for the whole trip at only CHF378 per night. It was almost 5pm when we checked in. 
Matterhorn, view from Denner.
Time is running out for today.  After check in, went over to Denner to get food for dinner and at the same time see if we are able to catch a glimpse of the beautiful Matterhorn.
Denner supermarket is just steps away from our hotel and it was so convenient. Tried their croissant at CHF1.80 and it was very crispy and delicious. Sell mostly raw meat, smoked meat/fish, sausages, salad etc. We ended not getting anything for dinner expect for a box of salad and Evian Water.
Walking along Zermatt town has a different feel.
Cars are not allowed into this place and only e-taxi was seen around. Town is small and we can just access by foot. Buildings, mostly hotels or service apartments are decorated by flowers along their corridors. Beautiful place.

Nothing can stop us from birding even when we were abroad. Spotted the Italian Sparrow while we were near the church. It looked puffy and bigger than those eurasian sparrows in SG.
We were in Zermatt to visit Klein Matterhorn the next day. Apparently, we get excited upon sighting the Matterhorn. Sunset was around 8.15pm but the surrounding started to turn dark around 7 to 7.30pm. 
We settled for Mcdonald's today with salad and beer from Denner.
The bananas from Denner looks ripe but taste green. Not nice.
Mcdonal's was delicious. The burgers were bigger too. Better than those in SG.
CHF37.60 for 3 burgers and chicken wings. Actually, not expensive at all. If we need chilli sauce or tomato sauce, we need to pay extras for these.
In Zermatt, most eateries are restaurants and food can cost easily CHF30 and above per person. So eating Mcdonald is a cheaper options. 
Everyone suffering from jetlag now. We took the 1am flight in SG and arrived Zurich's airport in the morning 8am. We did not sleep more than 4 hours in the plane. So, at 8pm. everyone has turned into zombie. Today, everyone slept by 10pm.

How to get to Zermatt.
Zermatt is a no car zone.
The best way to get to Zermatt is by Train. Alight at Zermatt Station.
If you are driving, you may park your car at Tasch. Take the train from Tasch train station to Zermatt Station. 
Train fares covered under Swiss Travel Pass.

Itinearary at at glance.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

190728 Aeon Tebrau Malaysia

10 Aug 17 Carrefour Ximending, Ah Zhong Mian Xian, ATT4fun

Walking Trail - MacRitchie Reservoir