Birding Journal - 25th Oct 2022 - Berlayer Creek Boardwalk, Singapore.

 Tuesday, Sunny day.
Berlayer Creek Boardwalk.
Birders has shared that a Ruddy Kingfisher, a rare migrant has been spotted here since 22 Oct, so hubby decided to come here to "busybody" a bit since he was on leave. Unlike other days, lots of people were seen at the boardwalk when we arrived around 10am. 
Tide was high, since I did not see any birders crowding at any particular location(mening no birds spotted), we went for a walk at Bukit Chermin Boardwalk before it gonna be close for maintenance work from 3 Nov 2022 to 31st Mar 2023.
Asian Brown Flycatcher.
When we returned and entered into Berlayer Creek Boardwalk from Bukit Chermin Boardwalk, we met this Asian Brown Flycatcher high up on the tree. 

Birders and bird photographers were everywhere. At the first look out point (nearer to the sea area) they were here waiting for the appearance of the Taiga Flycatcher

Arctic Warbler.
Spotted the Arctic Warbler, big ones at this look out point but none of the birders here were interested since it is a rather common migrant here. We saw them trying to spot a bird, asking each other if the tail point upwards. We actually spotted the Taiga but we did not know it was a Taiga, thinking it was an Asian Brown. When we walked out of the look out point, we saw a group of birders running towards us into the look out point. Then we realised that the rare vagrant has appeared. We decided to leave this look out point since this large group of birders were very noisy.
Black-crowned Night Heron.
Walking towards the MRT direction, halfway towards the 2nd look out point, I spotted the night heron, a heron I have been waiting to meet again after I spotted it 2 years ago. Unfortunately it was perched within the dense vegetation on top of the mangrove river, that I was not able to take a good picture for a record. It went back to sleep immediately too. 

Male Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.
I was complaining to my hubby about the sleepy night heron when we spotted a small black bird flying from the night heron at a fast speed with loud calls. Applying our own "birding concept" everything black and small are usually beautiful birds, I quickly zoom in and wow.

Male Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.
We spotted the uncommon migrant. It was so pretty and this is the first time I am able to view it at eye level. Despite the challenging vegetation, I still managed to get some decent shots for my records.

Crimson Sunbird.
The uncommon resident was also spotted around there, at the boardwalk after the Yellow-rumped Flycatcher flew away.

Crow-billed Drongo.
Any birders nightmare. The one and only blur shot. 
When we were left with no birds and watching out the mangrove river, I noticed a drongo on top of a tree at the opposite bank. It was flying up and down, I tried to capture it, but somehow, my camera just refused to co-ordinate. Not able to focus, this is a real frustration with my camera. Only after checking with another birder, I realised I missed a lifer. Never mind, I will come back to check on it again.

Ruddy Kingfisher.
Most of the birders/photographers were here for a reason. To take a picture of the Taiga Flycatcher and the Ruddy Kingfisher. For me, I am here just to spot wildlife with no particular species. I am always thankful with whatever I see for the day. Anything that appear me is always a bonus for me. 
 Then a birder near me was focusing on a subject, towards the mangrove river. Hubby was behind him and spotted the Ruddy Kingfisher and signalled towards me. I quickly went over, and bravo... a rare migrant was spotted and added to my lifer list. 

Ruddy Kingfisher.
It was perched in the open, we were so lucky. Unlike other birds, taking a sharp picture of the kingfisher is easier. Usually, it will perch on a branch for a while before it moves on. The first spotter is smart too. When he spotted Ruddy, he did not announce its appearance. He took all the pictures before shouting out that the Ruddy is here. Immediately, a crowd developed within a few seconds. Everyone was behind us. I gave my spot to another birder, so that they have a chance to take a good picture too.
We met quite a lot of bird photographer who will never give away their spot for anyone though they already took plenty of quality pictures in their cards. Its like, money never enough that sort of thinking. Very selfish correct?
It was already near to 2pm when we decided to go for lunch. Found the tail of this squirrel so cute.
Amur Paradise Flycatcher.
This common passage migrant suddenly flew above me to our delight, while we were walking toward the MRT station for lunch at ARC. As usual, it disappeared within a few seconds. 

Collared Kingfisher.
It was already passed 3pm when we returned to Berlayer Creek Boardwalk. Not expecting much since it was already so late, hubby spotted this Kingfisher. I am sure this is a juvenile based on the look of its colour. However, it is more beautiful than those I spotted elsewhere. It has a darker blue shade cap that make it look like the Forest Kingfisher. While taking a picture of it, I realised it is going to cast out a pallet. So, I quickly clicked, clicked, clicked. Here are the actions.

The crowd were still rushing to the Ruddy, while we spot for other wildlife.
Female Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.
I was following the Pin-striped Babbler family when I noticed white stripes on its wings. At that moment, I thought why was the babbler's baby so different. Hubby knew I was following the Pin-stiped Babbler and even showed me the location of a bigger babber. I told him I need to follow this small one since it has the white stripe on it, need to check if it is poo on its wings. (Same fate as the bulbul I spotted on 17 Mar?) So funny.

Female Yellow-rumped Flycatcher.
Only to realised later that it was a female Yellow-rumped Flycatcher, not a babbler with poo...ha ha ha ah

Mangrove Whistler.
I spotted it in the morning above the boardwalk. I thought I might have spotted a sunbird with a pale body. Now, it was playing with the Malaysian Pied Fantail when I spotted it again, thinking why it look different from them. At that moment, there was another birder next to me focusing on the same direction. He was trying to take as many pictures as possible since the whistler is quite elusive. Then he called out to everyone that the mangrove whistler is here. Lucky me, I have already got a good picture taken before the crowd came running towards us.

The lesson learnt form both birders, make sure we take good pictures for ourselves before informing others. Otherwise, good spots will be taken and we will not be able to move freely for a good spot for ourselves. Especially for bird photographers, they will never give up their spot for others. Since they wanted to be the best from all.

Oriental Pied Hornbill.
Was not a fan of hornbill anymore after witness it rampage residential pets. A lady action for me to go over there to take a picture of it, so, ok lah. Since so long I have not taken a picture of this bird. Lets do it.



Oriental Dollar Bird.
It was already near 5pm by the time we finished taking pictures of the Mangrove Whistler. Decided to call it a day when I spotted the dollar bird.


It was the most eventful birding experience we had for the last 3 years of our birding adventure. We kept spotting birds non stop from 10.30am all the way to 5pm. It was due to the rain and low light that lots of briders, whom like me, own lower scale cameras with poor image sensor decided to call it a day. Later part, we learnt that a birder spotted a Blue-winged pitta on the way out later that day. Wow.
Lets enjoy the 3 days of birding experience at Berlayer Creek Boardwalk via this Youtube video.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

190728 Aeon Tebrau Malaysia

10 Aug 17 Carrefour Ximending, Ah Zhong Mian Xian, ATT4fun

Walking Trail - MacRitchie Reservoir