Birding Journal - 27th & 28th Oct 2022 - Berlayer Creek Boardwalk, Singapore.

 Thursday, Sunny day in the afternoon.

Arctic Warbler.
Reached about 11am and the tide was high again. My 1st bird spotted was this common migrant. There were so many of them, especially at the look out point on these mangrove trees branches in the middle of the river. The place is more quiet today, perhaps some already gotten what they wanted to spot the day before and did not visit today. 
Sulphur-crested  cockatoo.
Since there isn't much happening at the boardwalk, I walked over to the Fourth Gun Position area at Labrador park area. While on the way back, I saw the cockatoos family at the seaside area. The young one is holding on its parent by biting on its parents wings. 
Sulphur-crested  cockatoo.
The active younger cockatoo, never stop moving. 

Sulphur-crested  cockatoo.
So glad to meet another lifer. 

Sulphur-crested  cockatoo.
Slowly, the birder's started to gather here to watch this pair. 

Straited Heron.
The tide is high and this heron looks perfect above the clear blue water in at the mangrove river. 

Ruddy Kingfisher.
Crowds can be seen again crowding over this star bird. This time, the photographers are aiming to take the back view of the bird hoping to see the colours under its wings or waiting for a shot with food in mouth.
This is the reason why the crowd is getting bigger and bigger. I watch from an angle away for the crowd. 

Taiga Flycatcher.
I was chatting with a birder when we spotted another birder checking out a tiny bird, and he is not sure what bird is that.

Taiga Flycatcher.
To everyone's delight, it is another starbird, a rare vagrant.
It was so small. So glad I was there. A photographer teased me that its tail did not point to the top, so, my picture is not valid. This is the typical thinking for these bird photographers, that contributed to the huge crowd. 
Crow-billed Drongo.
The Pied Fantail was playing happily by the mangrove river with clear waters. I was watching them and noticed another bird was watching them. Ohh the lifer I missed on 25th. Was so happy that I was able to meet this lifer again and have a picture for reference. Though not a full shot due to its location, perched and hidden in thick vegetation, I am just thankful that I have a clear picture for reference.


Collared Kingfisher.
I may not have the luck to meet the Blue-winged Pitta this trip but was glad to meet this cutie again.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Mangrove Whistler.
On 28th, Friday, I reached the park at 3pm when the tide is low. I was hoping that  by coming only during low tide will increase my chances of meeting the Blue-winged Pitta. Unfortunately, I did not meet the pitta and the park seemed more quiet today. 
From my past years observation, migrants usually stop by here for a week to "refill and rest", thereafter fly off to their destination during migration season. Perhaps they have started their journey south?
Still thankful that I was able to spot the Singapore resident though no other special species were spotted today.

Check out the video for my birding trip for 25th, 27th and 28th in a video tag in my Birding Journal - 25th Oct 2022 - Berlayer Creek Boardwalk, Singapore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

190728 Aeon Tebrau Malaysia

10 Aug 17 Carrefour Ximending, Ah Zhong Mian Xian, ATT4fun

Walking Trail - MacRitchie Reservoir