Birding Journal - 26 Dec 2022 - Coney Island, Singapore.

 26th Dec 2022, Monday. Public holiday.
Weather forecast - Heavy rain in the afternoon.

Have not been to Sungei Buloh for quite some time, so we planned to visit today. Nowadays, we take things slow for birding. Waking up early do not mean to meet more birds. It was already 10am when we were having breakfast.

I was scrolling down the FB Bird sighting page when one birder posted the Black Bazar spotted in Coney Island. The picture was perfect and I exclaimed "wow, there is a black baza in Coney Island. So beautiful". Hubby immediately responded "what bird? what bird? lets go Coney Island later".

I was thinking, mmm can lah, go Coney Island save petrol, quite near to my home. Also, my friend MC ever asked me a few times if I am going to Pasir Ris to spot the Black Baza. Would be nice to give her a surprise if I can spot and take a beautiful picture of Black Baza with my new toy.

11.45am - Here we are, at Coney island.
There are  few ways to get to Coney Island. We chose the lazy way, shortest walking route. So hubby drove and park at Punggol Point Park car park. We walked to Coney Island from there. It took at least 20 mins for us to reach there. On the way, we met birders returning. 2 group of birders told us they spotted none of any special birds this whole morning. Their answers did not sway us, the birds may show up in the afternoon, since they will definitely get hungry??? Of course, provided they have not left the place.

The side track at Coney Island is undergoing some construction work. So we enter via the track in the middle. It was quiet, only heard parakeet calls. Recently, this place is very quiet. Not plenty of birds. Beside it was already 12pm, the small birds would be going to for their nap soon. We do not expect much from this island either. One of the reason why I choose not to visit this place if I have another better place to go.
Another reason is, there is only one toilet here. Toilet is not clean frequently. Imagine if one user dirty it.... that is the end. The next nearest toilet will be at Punggol Point or Oasis Terrace. At least another 30mins walk away. Another reason for me to shun this place.

Another short walk, an elderly birder informed us that further down, at the boardwalk area, we can check on the Chinese Sparrow Hawk. Then we noticed a couple of photographers in action ahead of us. We speed up our steps, am I going to meet the Black Baza? So excited.

11.55am This was what I spotted upon arrival. Immediately, bring out my new toy, aim and this was the furthest I can achieved at 600mm. Nevermind, I can crop it later. 

Jerdon's Baza.
My lifer. The crop picture taken by my new Sony RX10 IV. Really impressive. I am fully satisfied.

I noticed I am having trouble focusing the bird when it was perched with the twigs and leaves. Initially, I thought my hands were shaky, so I passed this camera to my hubby to use it since he is stronger. I later realised it was the setting of the camera, it was set to auto track focus continuously. After setting back to single shooting mode, the image can focus properly. That is the problem when we are using a new camera. Need to know the camera before we can shoot the picture well.

Jerdon's Baza having a lizard for its meal. 
When I took over the Canon SX70HS, I have full control over it. This baza was very hungry, flying from one tree to another hunting for food.

Jerdon's Baza. Uncommon migrant. By Sony RX10 IV
At one point, it flew at low perch eating its lizard. All of us were so thrilled by it.
By Canon SX70HS.
12.40pm. Another 
Jerdon's Baza appeared nearby. One birder thought it is the Black Baza. Sent so many of us rushing over there. Then we realised it was the Jerdon's Baza. He felt so bad and kept apologising to all of us. So funny. At least we know we have spotted 2 Jerdon's Baza. How blessed.
The 2nd Jerdon's Baza flew off shortly.
One birder shared that she has spotted 5 of them flying towards Johor. Another said there are 5 in the Island. So we spotted only 2. Not bad.

12.56pm, the crowd has grown so big now. I believed someone might have sent out a message to their chat group and you can see all the birders started to arrive in group. It was the best birding experience for me because the big space gave everyone a good spot to take a picture of the bird. Imagine this baza flew from one tree to another, across the tracks, towards the forest and back to the track. Everyone kept following it until some felt hungry and decided to call it a day.


Banded Woodpecker, Juvenile.
Uncommon resident.
Canon SX70HS.
It was nearly 1pm, we decided to walk towards the boardwalk to look for the Chinese Sparrowhawk. On our way, we spotted a red dot. It is a Banded Woodpecker. So pretty.

Banded Woodpecker, Juvenile.
Uncommon resident.
Canon SX70HS.
Though not too near, I managed to capture a sharp picture due to good lighting. 


What about the Black Bazar?
We asked a birder if he has seen the Black Bazar. He told us he spotted this morning at the boardwalk, but was flying above. I thought he was teasing us. Then he continued - The Black Bazar refuse to come down. So cannot take a picture of it. 

Eventually we did not manage to get to the boardwalk as we have turn into one track too early, and could not find the boardwalk. So do not have a chance to spot for the Chinese Sparrowhawk and the Black Baza.

We decided to end our trip here as we may need the toilet facilites real soon and that is another 30 mins walk to Punggol Point. ha ha ha
Yes, there is a toilet in Coney Island, I just want to hold back using it.....

We have an exciting and fun day joining the crowd observing our lifer. Birding is so fun with other birders during the migratory season. So happening. I am sure everyone will sleep smiling tonight. LOL.

Sharing my video here.
Do like and subscribe. Thank you.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

190728 Aeon Tebrau Malaysia

10 Aug 17 Carrefour Ximending, Ah Zhong Mian Xian, ATT4fun

Walking Trail - MacRitchie Reservoir